Welcome to our Children’s Ministry Program page, called the Kidz Zone!
We are located upstairs above the lounge and have lots of fun activities. Head on up, grab a book or activity and CREATE! Adult supervision is required, so grab your parent or guardian and let them join in on the fun! Sunday School and Children’s Chapel takes place at 9:30 a.m. the FIRST Sunday of the month from October through August.
Children are the future of the church, and St. James is committed to providing different ways for children and their parents to build a deeper faith and solid community, and find their personal relationship with God.
There are children worship bags available located right before entry into the sanctuary. These bags are filled with quiet time activities —coloring pages, Bible story books, tracing cards, pipe cleaners for creating, etc. Please help yourself!
Welcoming Children and Families
To the parents or caregivers:
- Relax! God put the wiggle in children; don’t feel you have to suppress it in God’s house. All are welcome!
- Feel free to sit toward the front where it is easier for your children to see and hear what’s going on. They are probably tired of seeing the backs of others’ heads.
- Quietly explain the parts of the service and actions of the priests, ushers, readers, etc. Your little ones are probably anxious to know and understand.
- Sing the hymns, pray, and voice the responses. Children learn liturgical behavior by copying you.
- If you have to leave the service with your child, do so, but please come back. As Jesus said, “Let the children come unto me.”
To the members of our parish:
- The presence of children is a gift to the Church, and they are a reminder that our congregation is alive and growing.
- Please welcome our children and give a smile of encouragement to their parents.
- Remember that the way we welcome children in church directly affects the way they respond to the church, to God, and to one another.
Sunday School (preschool to fifth grade)
At St. James, our dedicated and loving teachers work with children to strengthen their relationship with God while building a Biblical foundation that will transition with them through our youth program. The children learn that God’s love is with them throughout their lives and that they can show God’s love by the way they live in harmony with others, just as those in their church home nurture and care for them.
Sunday school takes place from 9:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. the FIRST Sunday from October to August upstairs above the lounge.
All classes use Weaving God’s Promises, an Episcopal Children’s Curriculum tailored to their age group. We have three different age groups, and your child is placed on his or her appropriate school age group. Fishers are Preschool – Kindergarten. Seekers are first- through third-graders. Disciples are fourth- to fifth-graders. We use the rotation model to deepen your child’s understanding of each lesson/story. Possible rotation classes include drama, art, cooking, or games. The children participate in the Wichita Alternative Gift Market each November.
Immediately following Children’s Sunday school is Children’s Chapel at 10:45 a.m. on the FIRST Sunday of the month from October to August. During this time, all children ages 3 and up are welcome to attend. It is the perfect place to ask questions about what happens during church service; what it all means; why we sit, stand, kneel; what the readings mean to me; how we pray; what all those colors mean; etc. We take a hands-on approach to give children an understanding of not only our Episcopal tradition but how worship can be meaningful to them! Children will rejoin their families in the Sanctuary at the Peace.
The Choristers are young singers ranging in age from approximately 8 to teens. They follow the Royal School of Church Music model, which includes training in proper use of the voice, music theory, sight singing as well as hymns, liturgy, and sacred music. The Choristers sing in worship at the 10:45 a.m. service on the second Sunday of each month as well as at festivals.
Rehearsals are 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesdays from September to May in the music room. New members are always welcome. Contact Marlene Hallstrom, Director of Music, for more information.
Vacation Bible School
If you’d like more information about our children ministries please contact Chelsea Whipple, email@example.com, Director of Christian Formation.
Please sign up for our Children’s Ministry Emails below
Here is the latest Children’s Ministry Emails!